Men against Boys as Steeton go down at Wibsey

Wibsey 6 Steeton Res 2
Steeton were away at Wibsey knowing that they were in for a tough game being up against a first team outfit but with a good win the previous week confidence was high amongst the squad.
Martin Bland was called up for the first team so the back four were all under 18’s. Steeton logo
Steeton started on fairly well & were moving the ball on a decent Wibsey pitch & were matching Wibsey who were clearly a bigger & stronger team. For the first 15 minutes into the game there wasn’t a lot to choose between them.
Gregory was moved further forward alongside Holmes due to Bailey being unavailable for selection & he was able to break free from Brown but his shot was hit straight into the arms of Carradine.
This followed with Wibsey working the ball well in midfield as Crossland linked with Cronin who slotted a through ball for O’Donnell to strike but Linyard managed to tip the shot over the bar. From the resulting corner saw Brown given a free header to knock past Linyard – 1:0 Wibsey
This knocked Steeton back just as they were gaining the upper hand & 2 minutes later O’Donnell was put clear by a knock from Brooksbank & he calmly slotted his shot past a diving Linyard – 2:0 Wibsey
This knocked Steeton off their rhythm & their passing started to go astray as they started to clear their lines rather than regain control.
30 minutes into the game & a chance fell to Mortimer after a knock back from Holmes but his shot was tipped past the post by Carradine. Nothing came from the resulting corner.
35 minutes & again good work by Cronin & Burke saw Burke break free but his shot went over the bar.
Brooksbank & O’Donnell were given more & more time to run at Steeton’s defence & O’Donnell was a handful for Morgan & could have scored again after 42 minutes but his shot flew past Linyards post.
With half time approaching Brooksbank was flicked through by a pass from Crossland & the resulting shot went past Linyard – 3:0 Wibsey
Half Time – 3:0
Stern words were said in the dressing room as Steeton had been out muscled & out fought & only had pride to play for in the 2nd half – the formation was changed moving Sellars into midfield to tighten things up.
Early into the second half Burke managed to break away from Morgan but his shot was finely saved by Linyard.
5 minutes had gone in the second half & Burke scored again after poor defending by Steeton – 4:0 Wibsey – game was now over…
10 minutes into the 2nd half & Richmond managed to ride a tackle from Cronin & played a one two with Holmes but his strike flew past the post.
McGee who was having a quiet game down to not finding him with Steeton’s passes finally gained an opportunity after 55 minutes & he went past Armitage but his shot was wide of Wibsey goal
60 minutes on the clock & a poor pass by Morgan allowed Brooksbank the freedom to take on Linyard who struck past him to make it 5:0
Triple substitution was made with 3 – 16 year olds coming on Meegan, Robinson & Leach both making their debuts replaced Cope, Morgan & Mortimer.
Pride was a stake now for Steeton who needed to muster up something in order to come away with a bit of creditability.
Brooksbank was continuing to cause havoc for Steeton & should have again scored after 62 minutes but he shot over the bar.
Finally after 64 minutes Steeton got a goal with Ferguson breaking free out wide from Booth & his cross was met by Gregory to score past Carradine – 5:1
This lifted Steeton who started to show some positive play & Richmond & Sellars gained a bit more in midfield & Ferguson allowing to move the ball further forward & supported by a touch from Holmes saw Ferguson strike low past a diving Carradine – 5:2
Two minutes later Ferguson again broke from on the left to cross over & Gregory headed into the net but the ref blew up for offside. If that goal had stood it would have been game on for sure !!
The game was running away now but Steeton were showing good signs & moving the ball well but in the last five minutes Linyard appeared to get the benefit of doubt from the referee as he brought Brooksbank down but wasn’t shown a card much to the relief of Steeton’s touchline.
88 minutes & with the game coming to an end Walton knocked past Mason & his cross was met by Burke to seal the victory – 6:2
Final score 6:2 to Wibsey

After the match , manager Clark O’Dwyer had this to say “A hard lesson for a young Steeton team to learn from because at times it was clearly Men against Boys, but the young team is in the league to gain this experience & whilst it was a heavy & disappointing defeat, we all hope the young lads can learn from this & stay positive for the next game away at Rothwell Town in the County Challenge Cup on Saturday”.

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Whom Do You See?