Rams are spot on for bonus victory

On the spot: Patrick Sherry lines up his penalty kick.

On the spot: Patrick Sherry lines up his penalty kick.

SilsdenBurley Trojans u8 10 Silsden Rams 1
Burley Trojans u8 2 Silsden Rams 3

Not a game of two halves but a game of two games as sporting Burley suggested a penalty shoot-out after the final whistle as they were leading 9-0 at the end of the third quarter.
Silsden had only seven players signed on and lost two of those before a ball was kicked due to illness.
Fortunately, the other two under 8s teams were also playing at Burley and Chloe Hodge and pocket dynamo Jake Welford volunteered to play a second game just 10 minutes after their game had finished.
Silsden met Burley Trojans having a real purple patch of form, as Silsden stand in goalie Finlay Whitaker-Dibb found in the first quarter, picking the ball out of the net twice.
Sam Fearnley and Hodge both had only a couple of long range chances.
The second quarter did go a tad better with once again the same pair having shots saved but the Trojans hit three more goals.
Silsden started the third quarter much brighter, Welford took over in goal, freeing Whitaker-Dibb to take up his customary position in midfield with the hard working Oscar Reardon, and made two great saves from the relentless Trojan pressure.
Patrick Sherry put in his usual hard working shift in defence and he and Finlay Smith broke down many Trojan attacks but Silsden still went in on the quarter’s whistle 9-0 down, and a man down as Reardon took a knock and had to come off.
At the start of the last quarter, Welford made a string of saves and a pass out from him found Sherry who passed to Smith and his through ball to Reardon went to Hodge on the wing.
She found Fearnley at the edge of the box but, as he drew back his foot to shoot, he was bustled over and the referee gave a penalty. The move saw every team-mate touch the ball and a goal would have been richly deserved.
Fearnley cooly hammered the ball into the Burley net, giving the sprawling goalkeeper no chance.
Burley scored with almost the last kick of the game, giving them a very well deserved 10 – 1 victory.
The match over, Silsden had a point to prove in the penalty shoot-out, the hero being Welford, who saved four of the Burley penalties and then stepped up to score one himself along with Smith and a winning penalty by goal machine Fearnley.
The Silsden following applauded both teams off the field and praised the sportsmanship and friendliness of the Burley Trojan team and officials.
Patrick Sherry lines up his penalty kick.

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Whom Do You See?