Second-half collapse costs Oxenhope

Oxenhope Rec logoHunslet Club 3
Oxenhope Rec 0

Oxenhope’s recent run of good West Yorkshire League Premier Division form came to an abrupt end with a lethargic second half performance at Hunslet.
However, they could have had the game won by half-time, except for spurning several good chances.
The visitors’ defence soaked up the early pressure as the home side bombarded them with long balls.
On one occasion when the back line was breached, Ben White made a superb last ditch tackle as the Hunslet striker had the goal at his mercy.
Gradually Oxenhope gained control of the play and midway through the first half a corner from Dan Moriarty was met by Jason Walton but his header went agonisingly over the bar.
Tom Marshall then went on a jinking run down the left, whipped in a low ball across the box but none of the Oxenhope players were able to connect with it.
Michael Garnett was enjoying the physical battle with the Hunslet central defenders and he managed to wrestle free and fire the ball across goal to Moriarty but he fired his shot straight at the keeper.
Moriarty had another strike on goal when he met full-back Chris Day’s cross with a rasping shot but their keeper tipped the ball round a post.
Oxenhope did not turn up for the second half, allowing Hunslet to get on top from the outset.
The home side got a free-kick out wide; the ball was swung in and looped over keeper Grahame Ellis and into the top corner.
Ten minutes later they scored their second when Day collided with their young, quick striker and the referee pointed to the penalty spot much to the bewilderment of both teams.
Ellis got a hand to the spot kick but could not keep it out.
Manager Sam Duffin threw caution to the wind, pushing Day and Ritson forward in an attempt to try to salvage something but 10 minutes from the end Oxenhope were caught on the break and the third goal killed off the game.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Whom Do You See?