Silsden nap puts Barlick to sleep

Tom Henderson puts Silsden ahead, above, and is congratulated, below.  Screengrabs from the Silsden YouTube video channel, click for more.

Tom Henderson puts Silsden ahead, above, and is congratulated, below.
Screengrabs from the Silsden YouTube video channel, click for more.

Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 10.30.59Silsden 5
Barnoldswick Town 0

by Jim Rosser
The Cobbydalers marched into the next round of the West Riding County Cup with a comfortable victory over their local rivals.
Following their defeat at Maine Road on Saturday, the victory was a confidence-boost for the team, ahead of their second round FA Vase game on Saturday against Garforth Town.
The Cobbydalers won their league game at Barlick 4-0 earlier in the season but since then Town have shown some improvement and, with six former Silsden players in their squad, there was some added spice.
The visitors were first to show, playing some attractive football but without any end-product.
Silsden were patient and nearly surprised their opponents when Zack Dale sent a through ball into the path of Craig Nicholls. Keeper Chris Taylor spotted the danger and managed to win the chase for the ball.
Nicholls and Dale have built up an almost telepathic relationship and whenever one got the ball the other was looking for a defence-splitting pass to latch on to.
Shaun Airey managed to deny Joe Mitchell after a superb turn by Nicholls had opened up the Town defence.
Barlick themselves looked dangerous down the right. especially when right back Liam Blades broke forward.
Crabtree cleared Hodgson’s low cross for a corner which was headed back into the path of Scott Byrom, whose progress was halted by Ben Crabtree.
The Cobbydalers opened their account after 20 minutes. Dale’s diagonal pass sent Nicholls bursting down the left. Nicholls hit a low cross into the Barlick box and Tom Henderson was on to it in a flash to score from close range.
Barlick responded positively and Byrom brought a save from Phil Rishton before Hodgson hit a firm shot over the bar.
Aaron Hollindrake, who has so often scored against his former club, just failed to convert a cross from Blades.
Immediately after this, Silsden doubled their lead. Mitchell hit a pin-point pass to Henderson who fed Dale on the left.
Blades was able to deflect the cross for a corner which Dale took. Crabtree flicked the cross on and Gleave netted.
Again Silsden were forced to defend with Rishton punching a corner clear before Josh Brown denied Hodgson at the far post.
Matty Moses came on for the injured Crabtree after the break and Joel Melia replaced Hollindrake.
Melia was always prepared to run at defenders and only a well-timed challenge by Moses prevented his shot from testing Rishton.
Once again Silsden failed to settle quickly in the second half but fortunately Gleave managed to get in a tackle after both Deakin-Pickard and Brown had been beaten by Melia.
Silsden took advantage of the visitors throwing too many men forward. Nicholls timed his run to perfection to latch on to Moses’ through ball. Nicholls cut in and hit a low shot, which Taylor could only parry. Henderson followed up to notch Silsden’s third after 55 minutes.
Ten minutes later Jalil drove a diagonal ball into the path of Dale who out-sprinted the defence and drew the keeper before making it four.
With a 4-0 cushion, manager Andy Geary replaced Dale and Mitchell with Josh McNulty and Andy Hill.
The game was virtually dead but another cross by Nicholls was turned into his own net by the unfortunate Airey.
Having had a barren spell for several years in all four cups, the Cobbydalers have now progressed in two.
Geary was pleased to have seen his side bounce back after losing at Maine Road.
The Cobbydalers now hope for another victory to progress in the Vase.
Silsden: Rishton, Deakin-Pickard, Crabtree (Moses 45), Gleave, Brown, Ryan, Jalil, Mitchell (Hill 70), Henderson, Dale (McNulty 65), Nicholls. Subs (not used): Fagan, Feather.
Barnoldswick: Taylor, Blades, Elerton, Crorken, McEneaney, Airey, Cavanagh (Gill 67), Byrom, Hodgson (Simpson 56), Hollindrake (Melia 45), Hoyle. Subs (not used): Airdrie, Thompson.
Referee: M Brownsett
Assistants: I Thornton, A Ahmed.
Attendance: 102.
Silsden will be at home to Evo-Stik North Division side Brighouse Town in the second round later this month with the winners of that tie travelling to Armthorpe Welfare or Garforth Town in the quarter-finals.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Whom Do You See?