Steeton Inflict More Pain On Hunsworth

Steeton continued their recent run of good form, with a convincing 4-1 win over basement side, Hunsworth.

With players missing again, Steeton were forced to shuffle the pack again and Stephen Pearson came into the side for his debut and Joe Mason slotted in at right back, with Aaron Abass handed a starting place. Manager, Roy Mason elected to play a 4-3-2-1 system with Reilly up front alone and Abass and Andy King playing slightly deeper and the full backs being given licence to push forward.

Steeton were on top from the start with Abbas being pushed in the back inside the box in the first five minutes, Steeton were awarded a penalty. Up stepped leading scorer Lee Reilly, but his kick was saved by the keeper and Steeton couldn’t follow up the rebound and from the resulting corner, Andy Holden fired over. Abass then broke the offside trap and the home keeper did well to smother at his feet.

Andy King was narrowly wide with a low shot, whilst at the other end Sam Moore did well to tip a shot over following a long range effort as Hunsworth, who were fielding three new signings looked a much improved outfit on the one that Steeton had faced two weeks ago in the league cup.

Steeton finally made the break through on the half hour mark. Holden’s corner was headed out to him and he whipped in the ball first time and Pearson rose highest and headed the ball firmly past the flat footed keeper. It was no more than Steeton deserved and the goal seemed to settle them down and allow them to get into their stride.

The second half saw Steeton revert to a more traditional formation of 4-4-2 and look to use the width well and this paid dividends almost immediately with Mason and Holden combining very well on the right hand side the laters cross found King at the back post and he flicked it on for Abass to head home from close range. Within a few minutes the lead was increased and it was skipper, Tim Hird who reacted quickest in the box to curl the ball past the keeper for Steeton’s third goal.

Steeton made a double change with Lee Thompson and Jack Richmond replacing Joe Park and Holden and the pair of them combined well for Steeton’s fourth goal. Richmond beat his man and whipped in a great cross that Thompson met and powered his header over the stranded keeper.

The visitors looked to increase their lead further and Declan Consoli did well down the left hand side before crossing for Reilly who saw his header superbly saved by the keeper. At the other end Joe Meegan did well to make a last ditch challenge as the home side looked for some consolation. That duly arrived in the last minute and a long ball over the top found Ash Thompson who did very well to fire over Moore from an acute angle.

It was another three points for Steeton who have moved upto sixth place in the table with games in hand on those teams above them.

Next week see’s them entertain Lower Hopton at Summerhill Lane in a game that kicks off at 2.30pm

Steeton: Moore, J Mason, Park (Thompson), Meegan, Pearson, Hird, Holden (Richmond), Consoli, Reilly, Abass, King. Subs not used Rooke, R Mason

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Whom Do You See?